WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Substitute for cilantro

Hi,

I love your recipes, but many of them use cilantro. My wife cannot tolerate the taste of cilantro as she says it tastes “soapy” to her (much to my dismay as I love it). Can you recommend any substitute for it? I’ve tried subbing basil and parsley with some success, but is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• Hi Larry -

If you're making something that is cooked you could add ground coriander when you add garlic, onion, or spices. Coriander is the seed of the cilantro plant so their profiles will be similar however, when dried and ground, the flavor isn't as potent. Also, you can substitute fresh parsley and add a a splash of lemon or lime juice. Cilantro has a grassy flavor with citrus notes so the grassiness of parsley combined with the citrus juice can replicate it better. And, depending on the dish, you could also substitute with basil or, if you can find it, Thai basil. Both of these would be good in southeast Asian dishes or tomato-based Mexican dishes.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

• My Mom hates cilantro, which explains why I never had it until I was an adult, so when I was making something from your books, I used chopped parsley and chopped mint, since it was summer and we planted it next to my house. It, of course, isn't the exact same, but it added a lot of flavor and I though it was a great substitute.

• Hi Clifford -

Sounds like a great substitute! We agree that in most cases, green, leafy herbs can be substituted for each other.

We also find that some people who have an aversion to fresh cilantro do just fine with ground coriander. Cilantro is made from the leaves and stem of the coriander plant, whereas coriander is the seed of the plant.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.