WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

RV Abroad travel friendly recipes?

This is our 4th summer RV (Yellowstone, Redwoods, and Yosemite previous years) and this summer we’re going to cross the US-Canada border to head to Banff.

I usually double batch several meals in the weeks preceding departure, vacuum sealing half of it before cooking and then freezing it flat (Suya, shawarma, etc) that I can thaw quickly and grill. We do this primarily so we can save time cooking and maximize time either traveling or enjoying the place we’re at as we don’t spend our entire time at a sinkhole location, but try to see as much of a region as we can 🤓

1. what’re your favorite Milk Street recipes you take on the road?
  2. what’s your experience been traveling from US to Canada and cooking on the road? Do you par-cook meals and label? Do you buy your meats and veggies up there? (We’re constantly monitoring the prohibited list for border crossings)

Comments

• Hi Scott -

Unfortunately, we don’t have experience road cooking and traveling in an RV for Milk Street and haven’t had the opportunity to road trip between the US and Canada.

Any of the recipes from our World in a Skillet cookbook would be great recipes for cooking either on a small RV stovetop or a campfire.

Happy Travels!

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• Hi Scott,

I am also on my 4th year of RV travel and am going to Banff this year! Headed out from Philadelphia, over to Washington state, then Alaska, Banff, then back home. It'll take 6 months because I am stationary during the week so I can work and I only travel on the weekends.

I've been using a multicooker (like Instant Pot or Ninja) a lot because it doesn't use propane and doesn't heat up the camper like crazy. Plus, it cooks faster than the oven and you can batch cook a lot, depending on how large your model is. Between the air fryer, pressure cooker and baking mode, it's a huge help in a tight space. Milk Street has a ton of recipes developed specifically for a multicooker, check the Fast & Slow cookbook, it's my go-to! The recipes are designed so that you can either use the slow cooker mode or the pressure cooker, there are instructions for both methods for each recipe.

This is my first time crossing the border, I am keeping an eye out on border crossing issues as well. Hilariously, my biggest worry is pet food, since you can't bring opened bags and my pets require prescription food. Since the border restrictions limit meat, veg, fruit and dairy separately, I am not sure how they would figure out the amounts or food origin (especially if it contains one of their more restricted items) if you are preparing your dishes ahead of time. For example, the restriction for meat states: "Packages must have identifying marks, indicating what the product is. Proof of country of origin is required (label showing "Product of USA" is acceptable). Everything I've read has stated that you should bring your food in its original sealed package for an easier crossing, which is what I'm planning to do, just to err on the safe side.

Good luck and safe travels!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.