WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

US FLOUR VS UK FLOUR

Please could someone give me a way to convert US flour to UK flour types.

I would love to be able to adjust my US flours to equate to UK plain flour and UK self raising flour.

Comments

• Hi Sue - Plain flour is the British version of all-purpose flour, but with a much lower 7- to 10-percent protein content (American all-purpose flour is made with harder wheat, creating a 10-to 11-percent protein level). This can change the texture of tender-crumbed baked goods such as scones and sponge cakes but won’t affect those that require more gluten development, like cinnamon rolls. For more delicate desserts, I would use cake flour, which has 8 percent protein and is a closer match to plain flour. American self-rising flour contains baking powder *and* salt, since this type of flour is often used to create Southern-style biscuits. UK self-raising flour contains only the baking powder and has a lower protein percentage. They’re basic equivalents, but tweaking may be required depending on the recipe. Pay attention to the salt content of the recipe and adjust accordingly. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Hi! I'm a Milk Street magazine subscriber, and my question is about the recipe for the Italian flourless chocolate Torta/cake in the July-August Milk Street issue. It mentions on page 26, that you had to add baking powder to give the cake more lift, however, there is no baking powder in the actual recipe. Can you please help me? I really want to make this cake, and I want it to come out right! M. Nelson

• Hi Mona - Unfortunately there was an error in the print version of the story, where we erroneously mentioned adding baking powder to the recipe. Both the recipe in print and online are correct - there is no baking powder in the recipe - and the web version of the story has been updated to remove that reference. We are so sorry for the confusion! Best, The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.