WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Roast Goose

Hi Milk Street!

I frequently spatchcock poultry for roasting because it's so much quicker and tends I think to produce a great result.

Can I spatchcock a goose? I think it should regularly have a "low and slow" roast, so would you recommend that here? Any recommendations especially given the higher fat content?

Looking forward to any and all input,

Thank you and have a great Thanksgiving!

Mary King

Comments

• Hi Mary - great question! We love spatchcocking poultry, whether it's chicken, turkey or, yes, goose. Because a goose is a larger bird, just make sure your kitchen shears are definitely up to the task; if you're worried, turn to a sturdy, Western-style chef's knife to remove the spine. For cooking, you can treat it very much like a turkey, giving it a long cook at a fairly low temperature - I'd go with 350°F - though, because it's spatchcocked and will therefore cook a bit faster than a whole trussed-up bird, you may want to start it off higher (like 400°F) to accelerate browning of the skin before dropping the temperature down. To judge doneness, think of your goose like a chicken or turkey thigh - the dark meat, in other words - which means you're looking for a temperature of right around 175°F in the thickest parts of the goose leg and breast. And for flavor, you can take it in any number of different directions! Take a look at our Brown Ale Turkey for some great inspiration. - April D.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.