WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

How can I substitute for alcohol (wine) in recipe?

Am a longtime recovering alcoholic and thus don't keep any spirits around the house. Recently read a recipe for lemon couscous I want to try but it calls for 1/2 cup dry white wine. I know the alcohol burns off--that's not the point. I don't care to be around any spirits. Anybody got experience with a good substitute? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Patricia - you definitely have easy options to replace alcohol in the type of recipe you're referring to. (Is this a Milk Street recipe? I don't believe we use white wine in any of our couscous recipes, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.) As with any time we think about substitutions, the first step is to consider the work that the ingredient in question is doing. In this case, a dry white wine is contributing moisture content, plus a good amount of acidity and mild sweetness. So, for a substitution, you'll want something that does that same job. There is an easy option here: try 1/3 cup water, plus a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice or white wine vinegar, plus a teensy bit of honey whisked in, will be a perfect replacement. Give that a try and let us know how it comes out! - April D.

• Thank you April! And yes it was a Milk Street recipe--lemon couscous-something. How nice to post a question and the next day get an answer--I'm impressed!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.