WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Whole canned vs diced canned tomatoes

Recipes often call for 28 oz cans of whole, peeled tomatoes, which are then broken into bite-sized pieces. What is the difference between whole and diced tomatoes (other than the fact that the diced tomatoes are already in bite-sized pieces)?

Comments

• Hi Sarah - Whole canned tomatoes have been (usually) peeled and packed in tomato juice or purèe. Diced tomatoes are whole tomatoes that have been machine-chopped and packed in juice or purèe. Many cans of whole tomatoes and all cans of diced tomatoes have an additive called calcium chloride added to help the tomatoes stay firm. The diced tomatoes have more surface area exposed and, therefore, are exposed to more calcium chloride causing them to be too firm. They won't break down during cooking. Generally, we recommend whole, peeled tomatoes so we have more control over the texture of the tomatoes - if we break them down by hand some pieces can almost melt into a sauce while other, larger pieces will still have some texture to them. Hope that explains it! Best, Lynn C.

• I appreciate the explanation - this is very helpful. Thank you!

• I always wondered this too. Thanks for the explanation.

• There are several brands of whole canned tomatoes that don't include calcium choride, use those for cooking when you want some chunks and some chunks to melt into your dish. I particularly like some of the Italian brands of tomatoes; if you can find Mutti, use that.

• My local grocery stores don't necessarily have Italian brands such as Mutti. I have been using Tuttoroso - they just came out with San Marzano Style  tomatoes. Do you have any other recommendations? Is San Marzano Style tomatoes better than others?

• Hi Denise - I don't think canned tomatoes labeled as San Marzano are inherently better than others. In the case of a high-end brand imported from Italy, maybe, but not the American brands. In this case they are likely growing their own "San Marzano" tomatoes from San Marzano seeds here in the U.S. (or Mexico). What you should really be looking for in canned tomatoes is a balance of flavor - sugar, salt, acidity - and a higher ratio of jelly to flesh. I'd definitely try the Tuttoroso and, if you're up for it, pick up a couple of other brands to taste test as well. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Wow, I continue to learn new things from you and I so appreciate it!! I have always been in the habit of buying diced tomatoes and will be switching to whole, peeled tomatoes from now on.

• For many years, I've recommended crushed tomatoes for this reason, because diced tomatoes simply don't create a homogenous, smooth sauce not matter how long one cooks it. Thank you, Lynn, for explaining that calcium chloride is the culprit, not my over-active imagination!

As far as San Marzano tomatoes, it does seem to be all the rage. To the best of my knowledge, San Marzano is a particular species of Roma tomato. Romas were developed by Italians, to cut down on the lectins that are mostly contained in the seeds of nightshades. All Roma tomatoes contain more solid tomato flesh and fewer seeds than say any ordinary round tomato you might prefer for a sandwich. Fewer seeds equals fewer lectins.

As far as brands are concerned, I've frankly tested them all. In most things I'm not particularly brand-loyal, but canned tomatoes are a clear exception. Tuttorosa is very good. The organic brand Muir Glen was for me a true disappointment. Hunts and Contadena I simply will not buy. My clear winner and go-to canned tomato is Cento crushed tomatoes. Prices range wildly, so when I see a good price, I stock up.

• Very few San Marzano's are actually from San Marzano. United States brands have been fooling consumers, with tricky label's, for years. I have always followed the advice of Lidia Bastianich, buy whole canned tomatoes and crush, dice, puree yourself. It is certainly worth it.

As far as brand? I've yet found a tomato to compete with Mutti and Cento. Not because of the "label", but simply the taste. However, I will certainly keep testing and buying any new can I find.

• Very interestI use Pomi tomatoes, chopped or strained, ONE ingredient "tomatoes." Not sure about availability, we get them in NJ and I have purchased them online .

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.