WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

CHIANG MAI CHICKEN (KAI YANG) on the grill?

Any suggestions for grilling the Chiang Mai chicken rather than roasting? I assume a two-zone method, much like what is used for the Lemon-Lime Lacquered Chicken, but skipping the final browning step so you don't burn the brushed on marinade? Also, when doubling a recipe with fish sauce, should one really double the fish sauce?

Comments

• Hi Jason - I actually make our Chiang Mai chicken on the grill all the time. It's a great alternative to standard American BBQ chicken on a hot summer day. I grill it using indirect heat - the same basic method as the Lemon-Lime Lacquered Chicken - but because the Chiang Mai chicken calls for leg quarters and breasts, rather than chicken parts, the cooking time will be a bit longer. Just make sure to temp the chicken (160 degrees for the breasts and 175 for the leg quarters) and you should be good to go. I do usually grill it over the hot side of the grill at the end to get the skin crispy, but I am comfortable with a little bit of char on the skin. This only takes a couple of minutes since all of the fat has rendered during the slow, indirect cooking process. You do need to keep a close eye on it, though, because it definitely can burn due to the glaze.

For recipes with fish sauce, as long as you are doubling all of the ingredients it should be fine to double the fish sauce since everything should still be in proportion and balanced. However, you can always add some and taste as you add more until you feel happy with the flavor. I highly recommend Red Boat brand fish sauce and we carry their aged version, which has really complex flavor that has mellowed during the aging process, in the Milk Street Store. You can read about it and purchase it here: https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/blis-barrel-aged-fish-sauce. Thanks for writing us!

• Thanks! The little bit of char made it even better.

• What temperature range do you use? I have made the other chicken on a gas grill following the instructions and never paid attention to the temperature. My new charcoal grill has steep walls, so for indirect cooking I have to use a deflector plate, which means I need to aim for a temperature. I was thinking around 350-375 degrees. Would this be a good ballpark? Thanks.

• Hi Keith - Milk Street doesn't usually publish internal grill temperature since most built-in grill thermometers are pretty inaccurate and really only give you the temperature of the grill where the thermometer is located. Add in all of the other external factors that can affect grill temperature - BTUs of burners for gas/type of charcoal, weather, shape of the grill, grill material - and we really feel like calling for an internal grill temperature seems unhelpful to the griller since it's pretty challenging to account for all of the variables. Since this chicken cooks relatively quickly - especially compared to long-cooked traditional barbecue - a specific internal temperature isn't all that critical. It might just take a little less time or a little more time to cook the chicken to 160 degrees for breasts/175 for thighs. Thanks for writing us! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

• I have found that cooking chicken over a low to medium low heat is best (I spatchcock it first). I start with breast side up and then finish breast side down. I find that it gets a great skin and browning and I don't have to worry about flaring and burning the skin. In fact, I do most of my grilling now over lower heat unless I am just finishing up a steak that has been precooked in a low oven. It gives me a bigger window at the end of cooking and avoids all of the constant checking to avoid burning. On charcoal, I would grill the bird over a two-level fire - pile all of the charcoal on one side and cook over the other.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.