WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Fettuccine Alfredo

I decided to get the ingredients for the Fettuccine Alfredo recipe in the newest edition of the magazine. I've found that in general, less ingredients in a recipe leave lower margin of error. I've gotten the proper European butter and fresh parmesan. However, the recipe calls for fresh fettuccine from the grocery store. I know what that is, usually found in the refrigerated dairy section. Unfortunately for the life of me, no store in our area carries it (any longer). I don't like making fresh pasta at home. So, I'm relegated to the box of dry fettuccine from the grocery isle. The recipe calls for two, 9 oz. packages of the fresh pasta, to be cooked in 2 quarts of water. This ratio is apparently ideal to get the correct starchiness in the pasta water that will be used to get the correct consistency of the cheese and butter sauce. Of course, dry pasta needs more water to cook than fresh pasta to properly rehydrate the noodles. What quantity of dry pasta and water do you recommend in this situation to get the requisite starchiness in the water for this recipe?

Comments

• Hi Lee - This is a fantastic recipe - simple and creamy and nothing like the versions we've had here in the U.S. To that point, we never tested it with dried pasta. To stay true to the authentic versions we had in Italy, we stuck with fresh pasta since all of the versions we had there were made with light and tender, homemade fresh noodles. Since this recipe relies so heavily on the starchy water from the pasta to build the sauce we, unfortunately, can't offer recommendations on how to make it with dried pasta without going back to the drawing board and completely re-developing the recipe. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.