WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Salted Peanut and Caramel Tart

I'm allergic to peanuts. Do you think other nut butters might work, such as cashew or almond?

Comments

• Hi Gregory - Thanks for your question. We haven't tested this recipe with other nut butters, but I would imagine cashew butter would work fine. Cashews and peanuts have a similar fat percentage and, therefore, would behave similarly. That being said, cashews are much more mild in flavor than peanuts so I wonder if the overall flavor of the tart would suffer. I'm not as sure about almond butter. Almonds have a bit more fat than peanuts. Since the texture of this filling is so delicate, I would be concerned that it would be compromised using higher-fat almond butter. What you could try is substituting cashew butter for the peanut butter in the filling and almonds for the peanuts in the topping to see if the flavor might be more balanced than simply using cashew butter and cashews. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I did the crust exactly as the recipe and it was flaky and there wasn't enough for the bottom and sides. What did I do wrong?

• Hi Margaret -

I'm not sure what happened, but there are a few things that may have caused this:

1. Are you sure you used a 9-inch tart pan?
    2. Did you weigh your ingredients? It's possible you under-measured your flours and the yield on your dough was smaller.
    3. Did you press the dough correctly into the pan? You want to make sure to dump the tart dough into the pan and begin pressing it from the center out, building up the sides as you go. If you watch Bianca make it on the tv show (which you can find here at around 17:40), it may help with the technique.

Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.