WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Substitute Dark Soy Sauce for Low-Sodium Soy Sauce?

I originally posted this question to the recipe page for https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/taiwanese-five-spice-pork-with-rice-lu-rou-fan.

I am blessed that I have access to an H Mart, so when the recipe called for low-sodium soy sauce, which I almost never buy, I was wondering if I could use dark soy sauce, which I knew was lower in sodium than regular light soy sauce (light as in lighter, not lower sodium) and which I had on hand.

So in the interest of science, I decided to try it. I used 1/4 cup dark soy sauce to mix into the ground meat and I used 1/2 cup dark soy sauce mixed with 1/4 cup tap water to thin it out a little when simmering the sauce. Hedged my bets a little with that 1/4 cup of water :) The end result was great! It wasn't too salty at all, in fact I might even try it with a full 3/4 cup of dark soy sauce next time.

Anyway, that's an option for folks who might have a somewhat well-stocked pantry/fridge for chinese cooking. I appreciate having the option to use either depending on what's on hand.

Comments

• Hi Layne - thanks for your sharing your suggestion. Happy cooking! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks Lynn! We just made this and it was VERY salty for us following the recipe with low sodium soy. My husband is very salt sensitive and has high blood pressure so we were looking to cut the salt some way or another in order to keep making this. I may try it thinned next time. We did like the flavor overall but even I felt it was too salty.

• Dark soy sauce had 15 percent MORE salt than regular. Look it up. Always double check, get the actual value. Clearly you can’t trust bloggers or the “Internet”.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.