WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

milk street theory

In last night's class on Advanced Flavor Techniques, Rosie talked about Milk Street theory. Part of that discussion centered around "warm" and "cool" foods and ingrediants. It seemed that warmth and coolness partly refer to temperature, but partly refer to flavor. It left me uncertain as to the definition and conceptual foundation of warmth and coolness. Can you'all help a confused cook here?

Thanks!

Joe

Comments

• Hi Joe,

Thanks for reaching out, and thanks for coming to Advanced Flavor Techniques! The assessment of warmth and coolness is sometimes subjective (and open to debate, as you saw in class!), but here are some general guidelines to help you divide ingredients into categories:

• Warming ingredients are often sweet, starchy, rich and / or fatty; they may literally warm you up with capsaicinoids (i.e., hot chilies and other sources of spice); and / or be warm in temperature. Some good examples of warming foods: pasta noodles, deeply browned roasted vegetables or meats, paprika, aged cheeses, chili oil.
    • Cooling ingredients are often sour or acidic; fresh and herbal; and / or are cold in temperature. Examples: yogurt, citrus juice, light-colored vinegars, most fresh herbs, crunchy raw cucumber, (cold) feta cheese.

Another question to ask yourself, Joe, is simply: how does this ingredient or dish make me feel? Do you imagine eating it on a cold winter day or at an outdoor barbecue? If the former, it's likely warming; and if the latter, it's likely cooling. Trust your gut - and have fun experimenting!

-April

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.