WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

FLAT Russian Rhubarb Cake

I took this recipe from the Irish examiner and carefully transposed the recipe to US measurements: 1/4 c sugar, little less than 1/2 c flour and 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter and it was flat and very oily. I beat the eggs vigorously as they were the only leavening ingredient but am not sure what I did wrong. I love the idea of a simple, light and not too large sponge and can't find anything comparable online to this recipe.

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  2. Melt the butter without getting it very hot. Then mix all the ingredients except the rhubarb and beat vigorously.
  3. Spread the mixture over a well-greased Swiss roll tin and cover with the diced rhubarb.
  4. Sprinkle generously with sugar and bake for 45 minutes, lowering the heat slightly if cake looks like getting too brown. Cut into slices and remove them carefully with a spatula to cool on a cake-rack.

Ingredients

• 4 eggs
  • 270g butter
  • 50g sugar
  • 50g flour
  • 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 400g rhubarb, diced 
  • pinch of grated nutmeg

Comments

• Hi Beth - It seems like something is off with this recipe. That is 19 tablespoons of butter for only 1/2 cup of flour - even accounting for differences in flour from country to country or the possibility that they are using self-rising flour, that ratio of fat to flour is *way* off. I can’t imagine it would yield anything other than what you describe. Unfortunately we don’t have a recipe for this in our archives, but I would search for a simple rhubarb cake as an alternative. Best, The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.