WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Making Pulled Turkey

I have a turkey breast that I was thinking of using to make the turkey equivalent of pulled pork. I was hoping for some ideas on how to go about that. I figured I'd braise it using my dutch oven. What oven temperature would you use and what braising liquid? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Leta - We would recommend braising the turkey breast in a low oven (325 degrees) and using a combination of low-sodium chicken broth and water (1:1 ratio to prevent it from being too salty, but still adding some flavor). Feel free to add any whole spices to the braising liquid to further season it as well. Whole cumin or coriander seeds and/or some dried chilies would be nice here. Best, The Milk Street Team

• Thanks! I did braise it in chicken stock, onions, garlic, and a little barbeque sauce in a 350 degrees oven for about 2.5 hours. After it cooled I shredded it and turned the braising liquid into a sauce with some more barbecue sauce. It turned out pretty good.

• Great to hear, Leta!

• I wonder how it would turn out if you cooked it confit style in fat?

• Doedi - though we don't have a recipe for turkey confit, this is certainly a good way to give flavor a richness to a notoriously lean cut of meat. Because turkeys are low in fat, you won't be able to cook the breast in turkey fat; however, duck fat is a good fit here. Use a good heat-retaining pan, such as a Dutch oven, and plan for about 3 hours of cook time to evenly cook two entire turkey breasts.

-April D.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.