WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Broiler-safe 9x13 baking pans for Dream Cake

I want to make the Dream Cake recipe from the latest issue, but it calls for a broiler-safe 9x13 pan and advises not to use Pyrex or nonstick. But what SHOULD I use? Even the ceramic and cast-iron 9x13 pans I've looked into say they're only safe to 500, and broilers can get up to 550 or more.

Comments

• Hi Joshua - The best part of the Danish Dream Cake is the broiled topping - it's got a gooey layer hidden beneath a crunchy, caramelized topping - but the only way to achieve that perfect topping is using a broiler. The only pan option for this cake is an aluminum (not nonstick) 9 x 13 baking pan. I see these a lot in discount stores for under $10 or you can purchase one online for about $15 (they even come with a lid to keep the cake fresh). Trust me, it's well worth it for this cake! Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you so much, Lynn...I'll look for a plain aluminum 9x13. I do *not* want to miss out on that crunchy coconut layer! :-)

Josh

• Thanks Joshua and Lynn! I just logged in to ask this very question! I just checked and my Fiestaware baking dish is not recommended for under the broiler either. I do have two 9 x 2 inch aluminum without non-stick coating round cake pans. Would those work and if so what would be the adjustment needed to baking time or batter quantity. What about a disposable 13 x 9 pan? Not that I don't love to buy new kitchen toys, but storage space is at a premium. Cake sounds yummy!!

• Hi Maureen - You can bake the cake in two 9x2-inch pans, however, the cake will probably be a little shallower as two 9x2-inch round cake pans have about 10% more surface area than one 9x13x2-inch pan. Because the cake will be shallower I would pay close attention to visual clues for doneness rather than following the times as printed in the recipe. Generally speaking, smaller cake pans take longer to bake than larger ones because they have less surface area. (see our article on Sizing Up Baking Times). However, since we technically have slightly less batter in the pans, it could go a little faster. The cake is baked when it springs back when you poke it in the center and a toothpick comes out clean. For this particular cake we also have to be concerned about the cake drying out during the broiling step and, since the cake will be a little bit further from the broiler, might take longer to brown. Keep a close eye on the cake during broiling and, once the coconut topping starts to get golden brown (this could happen as quickly as two minutes), pull the cake out of the oven. Good luck! We look forward to hearing how you like the cake! Best, Lynn C.

• I got a broiler-safe, aluminum cake pan just for this recipe. And it was totally worth it! It was a HUGE hit among my friends. I hope you all try it!!

• Hi Ji Young - So glad you and your friends enjoyed the cake! Best, Lynn C.

• I haven't been able to find a broiler safe aluminum cake pan. Could you please tell me where to buy one?

Thank you!

• Hi Nancy - There are several different brands available on Amazon, but here is one example. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.