WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

The Piadina recipe.

I don't like that you can't leave comments at the end of each recipe. It's a helpful feature that is quite common on other food sites, especially food sites that sell stuff. Reader/cooks with experience can offer so much assistance and feedback, and readers don't have to search and/or leave the recipe page.

I did not love the results of the MS Piandina recipe. It was the first time I made flatbread. I followed the recipe to perfection, using metric and a scale. I purchased the same brand of lard. My dough came together in my Kitchenaid food processor exactly as it appears in the TV show, so I was very hopeful.

After resting and rolling, the dough seemed very greasy. My gut was telling me that 63 grams of lard may be overkill.

The dough fried beautifully in my cast iron skillet, but the cooking scent was not as strong as my pizza dough, which I also cook in a skillet. My finished piadina looked beautiful, but the dough did not bubble as it fried. No air pockets. And the cooked bread appeared quite dense. It was nowhere near as soft as I had imagined.

Not only did I not love the texture and mouth feel, I thought the flavor was lacking. There was plenty of salt, possibly too much, since it had a prominent salt taste. I make pie crust with lard and the distinct flavor is amazing. I was surprised by the piadina's lackluster flavor.

I've seen that naan recipes call for yeast and fermenting time, similar to pizza dough. I am wondering if adding yeast to this recipe and either cutting back on the lard or replacing it with olive oil could yield satisfying results. I don't mind waiting on dough if it means building flavor. I have no interest in bland bread.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi Michael - First, I will pass along your suggestions regarding comments on recipes to our tech team. Thank you! Next, let's talk about piadina. Piadina is an Italian flatbread that I would describe as more similar in texture to a flour tortilla or sandwich wrap than a pizza or naan dough. The flavor of the dough itself should be well-seasoned yet subtle, so as not to overpower or take away from the more flavorful fillings. Since it is never made with yeast and allowed to ferment like pizza or naan, the flavor will also not be as complex. However, the highlight of the piadina dough is the speed with which you can have a homemade bread on your table. The dough should not feel greasy after it has rested. Is it possible your lard was too warm? In the summer sometimes "room temperature" is actually a little too warm. Room temperature butter/shortening/lard should be around 65 degrees, which is probably a bit colder than most people keep their home. As for why your bread did not bubble, I can't be 100% sure. A number of things could be the cause including inactive baking powder, overdocking the dough, or not getting the pan hot enough. Naan is a very different bread than piadina, owing to the addition of yeast and rising time. I definitely think you could experiment with the piadina dough by adding yeast, milk, and sugar and turn it into something more similar to naan. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you, Lynn C. for your thoughtful response. I record the Milk Street show, and I enjoy your on-camera talent and your contributions. Considering the countless times I've been to Italy, I've never had piadina. I've seen it in tavole calde, but it's never been my first choice for a sandwich. I usually pick the panino or focaccia. I also find that bread in Italy can vary dramatically in flavor and texture, depending on the region. I have no love for dense, bland bread, no matter what lies between. Perhaps the highlight you stated is of no interest to me, since I value bread's flavor and texture over speed and convenience. I bought that pound of lard, so I was hoping to tweak the recipe and make more. I plan to experiment a little. I thought my dough felt greasy after it rested and rolled out, but I don't have a clear reference point, other than pierogi, pizza, and chinese dumpling dough. My lard was quite cold, but it was not frozen, which is my typical way of using it when making pie crust. I date my spice items, so I will check the date of my baking powder. I neglected to consider that. I docked the rolled dough the way I dock my pastry crust. It could be considered excessive. I did the water drop test on my frypan, so the pan was definitely hot enough. I realize that naan is a different bread, but my goodness, when it's made well and spiced right, the eating experience is sublime. Thank you again for helping me re-think this. I enjoy kitchen challenges.

• Hi Michael - Glad I could be of some assistance. One of the things I love about recipe development is the investigation process to find out what went wrong or what can be changed, improved, or eliminated. It sounds like you enjoy that process too. Thanks for writing in and watching the show! Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.