WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Chainmail Scrubber for Cast Iron

My son bought me a chainmail scrubber for cleaning my cast iron when it needs a heavy cleaning. Basically, you clean your cast iron with hot water and a "chainmail" pad. Afterwards I dry the skillet, oil it lightly then stick it in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. In the past I had been told that water should never be used on cast iron. However, this chainmail pad seems to work well. Any thoughts as to whether or not I am doing any harm?

Comments

• Hi - Thanks for your question! Our preferred method for seasoning and cleaning cast iron and carbon steel can be found here: https://www.177milkstreet.com/discussion/discussion/comment/88#Comment_88. Chris's preferred tool for cleaning cast iron is a grill brush with one or two, light mesh scrubber pads attached. He finds this gets the job done without being too harsh on the cast iron seasoning (like a chainmail scrubber might be). If you do get your cast iron skillet wet, the best method to dry it is to first dry it with a towel and then put it on a burner over medium-low heat to make sure it gets completely dry. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• I've found chainmail scrubbers to be pretty gentle on cast iron. They certainly are more gentle than steel wool and even the "scrubby" side of a typical sponge. I wash the chainmail scrubber in hot water, add a small squirt of detergent to it, and then scrub off melted cheese or other stuck on debris from the cast iron. The important thing is to dry it after washing/rinsing and never let cast iron soak in water.

All of that said cast iron is pretty tough, and you don't need to baby it. Use it frequently and oil each time you use it and it should be fine.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.