WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Almond paste

I am tempted to make the Apfelkuchen recipe, but I am confused about which almond paste to use. One US brand, Mandelin https://www.mandelininc.com/shop/almond-pastes-marzipan/, has 6 varieties of paste (and that does not include its marzipan offering), with varying level of sugar and textures. It would be great to know which brand Milk Street uses so that I may replicate the recipe accurately. Anyone care to weigh in?

Comments

• I can't speak for Milk Street, but I've had great success with Solo brand almond paste. I buy them from Amazon, but I've seen them in supermarkets as well.

I absolutely adore this recipe. It took me a little bit to figure out the baking time and temperature for my overn and springform pan, but this recipe is a true winner. Rave reviews from everyone!

• Hi Liberty -The almond paste we use in the Milk Street kitchen is 45% almonds to sugar. I don't think we've tried the Mandelin brand (we use what's available in our local market) but I think their classic almond paste is closest to what we use at 50% almonds to sugar. Whatever almond paste you do use, make sure it's fresh and pliable or the cake will be dry. Best, Lynn C.

• I can't speak for Milk Street, but I've had great success with Solo brand almond paste. I buy them from Amazon, but I've seen them in regular grocery stores as well.

I absolutely adore this recipe. It took me a little bit to figure out the baking time and temperature for my oven and springform pan, but this recipe is a true winner. Rave reviews from everyone!

• I made the Apfelkuchen recipe last night with almond paste I had in the pantry - Mandelin natural almond paste. Turned out perfect! The almond paste was easy to work with and blended right in. It did give the cake a darker crumb, but my husband and I thought it looked beautiful and slightly more rustic. Having never used Mandelin before, I visited their web site last night. Super informative! They carry about 6 different almond pastes. It appears that Mandelin is first and foremost an almond grower which is something that appeals to me as a consumer. Lastly, I noticed that King Arthur carries the Mandelin premium almond paste in their online store.

• I normally use Solo Almond paste to make my Pignoli cookies. They are amazing and I end up baking 5-6 dozen to give as gifts. This year I bought the bulk container of Mandelin. My cookies were awful. Not sure if I should’ve adjusted the recipe that I always use or what the issue was but the cookies turned out rubbery, flat and tasted not so great. So I went back to the store for my trusty Solo brand, and success!

i’ve heard so many good things about Mandelin, it left me thinking that I purchased a counterfeit almond paste off of Amazon. ;)

So, if anyone has any suggestions on how to use this big container of “almond paste”, let me know!

• Hi Annette - Mandelin has a few varieties of almond paste with different proportions of almonds to sugar. It's possible that the one you purchased had a higher proportion of almonds, which may have made the cookies drier. The almond paste we use here is 45% almonds to sugar, so I'd check to see which one you've got. If it's close in percentage to ours, others above have had good luck using it to make our Apfelkuchen. It's a delicious apple-almond cake that is perfect for the holidays! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.