WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Why don't companies make tomato products such as plum tomatoes or spaghetti sauce w/o tomato seeds?

Trying to make recipes that call for crushed tomatoes which all have seeds does not work well for people who suffer from diverticulitis. Using puree does not in my opinion produce the same flavor profile (no chunks). Millions of people suffer from this condition and can't enjoy many dishes that call for these ingredients.

If they can make puree, why not crushed, plum, and sun-dried tomatoes?

It's a pain to try and de-seed the canned versions!

Comments

• Hi Charles - I agree that de-seeding canned tomatoes seems like a pain. I did see a trick on the internet in which you drain the tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer, break them open, and then transfer them to a salad spinner. Apparently the centrifugal force of the salad spinner leaves you with seedless tomatoes in the basket of the salad spinner and all of the seeds and juice in the bowl of the salad spinner. Then you just strain that juice from the salad spinner through a fine mesh strainer. I haven't tried this but it might be worth a try to see if it can make quicker work of de-seeding for you! Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnzQ-r-UBQ.

Hope this helps! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it should work. I'll give it a spin and let you know if it works.

• I believe that the product in grocery stores—“strained tomatoes,” don’t have seeds.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.