WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Adapting Recipes for an 8-quart Instant Pot

Hi! I have an eight-quart Instant Pot, but Milk Street recipes call for a six-quart pot. Is there any general advice about adapting recipes to the larger size or does it not matter?

Thanks! Lisa

Comments

• Hi Lisa - Our Director of Recipe Development, Diane Unger, says that the recipes were tested in an 8 quart Instant Pot as well and that the times were the same as in the 6 quart Instant Pot, so you should be good to go! Best, Lynn C.

• I also have an 8--quart and the first recipe I tried drastically overcooked the cauliflower (steamed with harissa - still tasted fantastic, but *way* over cooked). The introduction in the front of the book mentioned that this might happen. Are there some recipes within the book (Fast and Slow) that need reduction and if so, how do I calculate by how much time? I really don't want this to happen again, especially with home grown cauliflower and harissa (with home grown ingredients).

Thank you, Kathy.

• I have the same question, but more specifically… How do you increase the volume to take advantage of the larger 8qt Instant Pot? Is it 30% more or double, as I’ve read elsewhere?

• Hi Michael - I believe it's 50% more, but it's probably best to check with customer service at Instant Pot to confirm. I know that the minimum liquid amount is different for each machine so you will want to make sure you've got that covered. It also takes the 8 quart a little longer to get up to pressure so you will want to factor that into your meal planning. All of our recipes (and most recipes out there) consider the cooking time to be the time it takes to cook the food once it comes up to pressure. Best, The Milk Street Team

• edited December 2023

I recently purchased an 8 quart Instant Pot because I am often cooking for 20 or so people (I have a 6 quart pot also). I know your recipes are designed for a 6-quart pot and for 4 - 6 servings. Are they designed to take advantage of the full capacity of the 6 quart pot or can the 6 quart pot accommodate more? If so, what percent more? I want to use the 6 quart max and then increase from that for the 8 quart.

I contacted Instant Pot thru their chat and was told I can double the ingredients used in the 6 quart pot for the 8 quart. They also said to double the cooking time, which doesn't seem to agree with what I have read elsewhere.

• Hi Linda -

Although we developed recipes for the 6-quart Instant Pot for our Fast & Slow cookbook, we don't consider ourselves experts on all things Instant Pot. We definitely defer to what the manufacturer's recommendations and suggestions are when it comes to how to use the machine properly.

As for our recipes, they are designed to fit in a 6-quart pot without much extra room. You should never be filling the pot higher than the max line on the inside of the pot.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.