Back to Jobs
This is a hands-on internship in our busy kitchen — the heart of our magazine, television, radio, cooking school and cookbook development channels.
We are looking for interns who are familiar with professional cooking/baking basics, methods and techniques. You should possess solid knife skills, be familiar with kitchen operations (including food safety, hygiene and good practices), and have a strong overall food and equipment knowledge (or desire to learn). Here’s what you might expect from the position:
- You’ll be expected to train quickly and effectively on our kitchen policies and procedures.
- You’ll work with the Kitchen Director, Director of Recipe Development, and Recipe Developers preparing mise en place and assisting with recipe tests.
- You might also work during photo and television shoots by prepping ingredients, making recipes and gathering equipment.
- You’ll help with evaluations of kitchen equipment and ingredient taste tests.
- Other duties may include cleaning and organizational tasks, prep/cooking for in-house events, dishwashing and trips to local stores for supplies.
- Organized, analytical, accurate, flexible, efficient and punctual
- Able to follow directions, work independently and within a team, and maintain a creative mindset
- Able to commit to the agreed-upon duration and hours of the internship
- Currently enrolled or a graduate of a culinary program
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years hands-on culinary experience (highly desirable!)
- A ServSafe Food Handler certification (preferred)
- Great communication skills
This job operates in a kitchen environment. The role routinely requires the use of sinks, dishwashers and kitchen tools including sharp knives and equipment that requires safety precautions. Interns in this role are frequently exposed to hot water, hot temperatures, potentially slippery floors, kitchen waste and cleaning chemicals.
You’ll spend most of the time on your feet. Occasionally, you may be seated or required to climb or balance and stoop or kneel. You will frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. You must meet these physical demands in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
POSITION TYPE & EXPECTED HOURS
This is a part-time, paid internship at our downtown Boston office. You’ll be expected to work approximately 20 hours per week, typically Tuesday through Thursday between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Timings will vary according to production schedule needs. Interns are asked to commit to a period of no less than 3 months.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
Include your available work hours in your cover letter.
Send your resume, cover letter and available work hours to [email protected]. Remember to include the position you’re applying for in the email subject line.