WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Cheese rinds

What can I make with cheese rinds? I saw them being sold at the grocery store, but have no idea what to do with them besides throwing into the garbage.

Comments

• The Tuesday Night cookbook has a recipe using them for the Kale and White Bean Soup. Delicious recipe.

• Hi David - Thanks for your question! At Milk Street we use leftover cheese rind from hard cheeses like parmesan and pecorino to add a savory boost to soups and stews. Parmesan contains high levels of glutamate, an amino acid that (along with ribonucleotides) imparts umami. The dish won’t taste cheese-y, per se, but the rind will add a depth of flavor that will really take your dish to the next level. As Elizabeth S. mentioned, we use parmesan rind to flavor the broth in our weeknight Kale and White Bean Soup and in the vegetable broth for our Risotto with Fresh Herbs. I would also recommend adding a rind to a Bolognese, meat ragu, or tomato sauce, a minestrone, or, really, any soup or stew. Happy cooking! Best, Lynn C. 

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.