WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

mexican corn bread

In the mexican cornbread recipe that was on the recent podcast, should I cook the corn prior to removing from the cob? Or does this recipe call for raw corn kernels?

Comments

• Hi Beth- The recipe calls for cutting raw kernels off the cob. No need to cook it! Good luck and enjoy. Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you! Also, since I do not have a blender, do you think a food processor might work?

• Beth - Definitely! A food processor will do a great job here. Just be sure to scrape it down a few extra times in between blends in order to get the smooth texture called for. - April D.

• Hi again,

Follow-up question to my previous concerns. I did use fresh corn not frozen, however, I used Bread flour because I didn't have regular flour on hand. Could this have made it denser? Also, could over mixing cause this problem?

Thanks again!

Casey

• Hello,

I have made this recipe three times now. The first time I made it the center of the 'cake' was dense/gummy. The 2nd time, it was much 'fluffier' and the 3rd time was today. Again, it was dense and a bit gummy in the center.

Today, I made sure to measure, measure, measure the ingredients using a food scale, cooking it in a 350 degree oven on convection bake. I ended up leaving it in an additional 15 minutes due to the toothpick 'test' coming out looking 'wet'. As an FYI, I used white corn today because no yellow corn was available at the store. Could that have contributed to it's dense texture?

It's so frustrating because I want to really love this recipe, but I seem to be struggling with consistency. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

• Hi Casey - I think it's likely the bread flour that is the problem. Bread flour contains more protein than all-purpose flour in order to produce more gluten and achieve the desired rise in bread. Because of this higher protein level, bread flour is able to absorb more liquid, allowing it to hold its shape and rise upward instead of outward. In a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour using bread flour may yield a drier dough if you don't compensate and add more liquid. In addition, the increase in protein means more gluten is developed and more quickly. You can easily overmix. This is generally not a problem in yeast doughs, where we often call for bread flour, since we want to develop a lot of gluten for structure and chew. In a cake, however, that additional gluten will cause the cake to be dense and gummy. I would try it again with all-purpose flour and see if your results are better. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.