WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

My Nakiri Knife

I made the mistake of not immediately cleaning my knife after cutting a butternut squash.

Now, my knife has a scum which I have not been successful in removing. I hesitate to use a scouring pad. Can you please give me advice about how to return my knife to its pristine condition?

Thank you,

Jo G

Comments

• Joanna: Your knife is a kitchen tool, designed and made to be used well, and tools that are used will not remain in "pristine condition." Yes, they need care and attention, in order to remain efficient and safe. But avoid the temptation to keep it in perfect shape for display. There is no joy in that.

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in here with good information on maintaining your knife, beyond basic sharpening and honing, but I encourage you to not worry about what are likely cosmetic imperfections with your kitchen tools, and enjoy them for their intended purpose, and to create good things for you and others.

• Joanna - I certainly echo Larry's encouraging comments above (thank you, Larry!). The scum you are seeing is a result of the butternut squash's starches adhering to the knife and then drying out. Fear not: it's easy to remove this starch using very hot water, soap and the slightly more scrubby side of a normal kitchen sponge. Avoid using an aggressive metal or steel wool scraper, which can scratch your knife. With soap and hot water, you should find that the starch easily comes off and your knife looks good as new. - April D.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.