WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Brisket recipe

I have an idea of what I want to do, but having not braised a beef brisket before, I would appreciate some advice on techniques.

Comments

• Zachary - a brisket can feel like a big project, but we've found that it quickly becomes manageable when done in a pressure cooker. Do you have an Instant Pot or other multi-cooker? If so, the techniques described in our Mexican brisket salad are excellent for any brisket preparation, and you can easily make a sauce with a different flavor profile than the one called for here:

Just say the word if you don't have a pressure cooker and I'll get back to you with recommendations for other ways of tackling brisket. - April D.

• I have crock pot. Would that be better than just baking? And my big question.....lots of my friends have mentioned that an Instant Pot is an absolute necessity in the kitchen. Is this a fad, or really worth me buying yet another kitchen appliance? Thanks so much.

• Hi Beth - You could probably make this recipe in a slow cooker, with some modifications. If your slow cooker doesn't have saute capabilities, saute the onions and aromatics on the stovetop and transfer to the slow cooker. Since the slow cooker zaps more flavor than the pressure cooker, I might swap the 1 cup of water for 1 cup of low-sodium beef broth. Then cook on high for about 5 to 6 hours. As for whether an Instant Pot is worth it or not, that is really up to you. We love it for its ability to make long-cooked dishes in about half the time. You can do both slow cooking and pressure cooking in an Instant Pot so it may be worth buying one when you need to replace your crock pot. Best, Lynn C.

• Is there a target temperature for braising a brisket?

• Hi Daniel - Generally you'd want to shoot for between 200-210 degrees but a better clue is to insert a fork into the center of the brisket and if it meets little to no resistance, it's done. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.