WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Yeast, substitutes

Thanks to Covid-19, can't find yeast anywhere. Any substitutes?

Comments

• Unfortunately, the only substitute I can think of is a sourdough starter. It would take a while to get going, but... it might be a fun project. Especially, if you have plenty of flour. Other than that, quick breads are a good option. Soda bread, or Irish brown bread are delicious. Milk Street had a multigrain soda bread recipe that is great! Good luck! Hopefully there will be plenty of yeast on the shelves soon!

• Hello,

I am interested in learning of the advantages and disadvantages of using a sourdough starter vs. yeast. Also interested in the science behind sourdough starter vs. yeast when baking bread. Tx!

• Hi Tracy - I agree with Annie. A sourdough starter would be the way to go but, as she mentions, it can take a while to get enough yeast activity to use to make bread. In addition to the soda bread she mentioned, we also have the piadina flatbread, Irish ale bread, and scallion pancakes (Korean or Taiwanese) all of which use chemical leavener (or no leavener). You could try these while waiting for a starter to develop. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I have a 4 month old starter that I have had to use instead of yeast in my Italian loaf. I must say that it tasted awesome without giving it a sourdough taste. It rose beautifully as well.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.