WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

bread proofing

Although you don't have classes specifically for bread making, can you give any advice about proofing yeast? More often than not, even using rapid rise yeast, my dough takes forever to proof even on the proof setting of my oven.

Comments

• Hi Maggie - First, I'd make sure your yeast is still active. You can test the yeast by adding it to the liquid and sugar in the recipe and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. If it bubbles, it's good to go! Next, I would make sure it's not too hot in your oven on the proof setting. I don't have this feature on my oven, but I've heard from others that it sometimes overheats, and therefore, kills the yeast. I always leave my yeast doughs to rise on top of the fridge, which is probably the warmest spot in my house. While proofing, make sure you mark the bowl where the dough starts and where it should be when it's doubled so you know, for sure, when it's doubled in size. I use a proofing bucket with straight sides to rise dough since it's easier to see when it doubles. A very large glass measuring cup is a good option too. Finally, make sure your dough isn't too dry. A very dry dough will not rise properly. Most bread doughs should be soft and smooth (unless it's a very high hydration dough which will be almost liquid). Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.