WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Using wine in a recipe.

First let me say that I'm not a wine drinker and I don't know even the most basics about it. When I need to purchase wine for entertaining friends, I usually feel uncomfortable due to the overwhelming number of choices and my lack of wine knowledge. So when a recipe calls for "red" or "white" wine, I never know which wine to go out and purchase. Why aren't recipes more specific? Is there a default choice I can make?

Comments

• Hi Barb - Wine buying can definitely be overwhelming. The staff in a wine shop are a fantastic resource for selecting wines. Because there are so many varietals and so many of those varietals could be appropriate in a dish, recipes aren't specific. For red wine, I usually prefer something that's fruity, smooth, and mellow without much oak flavor. Most Merlot, Chianti, and Côtes du Rhone would be fine. For white wine, you want something that's lean and fruity without oak. I like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio for this. You don't need to spend a lot of money - you won't notice the difference between a $50 wine and a $12 wine in cooking. Our wine expert, Stephen Meuse, wrote a great article on the concept of House Wines - inexpensive wines that you'd want to drink every day. He recommends some additional wines that would also be great in cooking, but also great to have on hand for entertaining friends. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.