WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Carmelized Onions

In cooking class I was taught that the proper way to carmelize onions was to cook them on medium high and scatter salt on them. Cook them them until translucent. However, I have also heard that the right way is to cook them "low and slow".

Which is correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Mike - there are about as many ways to caramelize onions as there are cooks, so the short answer here is that if you have a technique that works for you, then use it! There's no "correct" answer here: rather, if the approach you use gives you the results you want, then it's a good one. The longer answer is that the lower and slower the heat, the more sweetness will be coaxed out of the onions over time. A traditional French-style caramelized onion might cook for two hours or more, with occasional splashes of water added to loosen up anything that might have gotten stuck to the bottom of the pan. However, for the home cook, there's no shame in cooking them over medium heat for less time - even 20 minutes will see a good amount of caramelization - like we do in our Lentils and Bulgur with Caramelized Onions: https://bit.ly/2wn6WBt. I will note that salt can dramatically transform caramelized onions; added too early, salt can result in oddly mushy onions. Wait to season to taste until the end. - April D.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.