WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Olive Oil

Can olive oil be reused? Tonight I fried fish in the olive oil. Can this same oil be reused to fry another round of fish ? And, if so, should I store the "used" oil in the fridge?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Eileen - Are you deep frying the fish? In other words, is the fish fully submerged in the oil or are you just pan-frying the fish in a small amount of oil? If you are deep frying or cooking over a relatively high heat, I would use an oil with a higher smoke point, such as grapeseed or canola oil, rather than olive oil. Olive oil will smoke around 390 degrees, extra-virgin around 350. You'd want to heat oil to about 350 before frying so you run the risk of smoking the oil, which will negatively affect flavor. Although you can typically reuse frying oil, I wouldn't reuse fish-frying oil. The strong flavors of fish can get pretty funky during storage and make your next meal taste pretty terrible. For other oil, you can strain the oil through a fine-mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter (a paper towel will work too) and return it to an air-tight container. Oil can be reused at least 3 times and up to 7 or 8, if you've fried something mild in it, like potatoes. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Dear Eileen, This is agreat question and thanks for that. Although Lynn has already answered your question perfectly, I have some other minor points to add in order to give a better insight hopefully.

As stated by Lynn, this may not sound a good idea. However, there are some important factors that you can consider in order to facilitate this. If your option is go for olive oil in your frying requirements, which is perfectly fine because olive oil is the best liquid fat in the world, then you should consider blend olive oils such as olive pomace oil or olive oil with composed of refined olive oil. These 2 main types of frying friendly olive oils have on in common. That is the content of refined olive oil in it.

There is a great portion of refined olive oil in these olive oils that make them perfect fit for your frying needs. Since the refined olive oil's smoking point is quite high and its chemical structure does not get damaged in high temperatures, these olive oils are best for your cooking needs.

You most probably can find these type of olive oils in your ordinary grocery store just in the same place where the usual olive oils are located.

Hope this will help a little further.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.