WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

SOFTENING ROCK HARD SUGAR OR ALMOND PASTE

Occasionally I end up with a sugar or almond paste "rock." In lieu of tossing it, I have softened it by adding a piece of bread for a day or two, in an airtight container. The moisture in the bread returns the original texture of the item. Is there a better way to accomplish this? Is there a reason I should not use bread, and instead go ahead and toss the offending ingredient?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Lynn - You've got the right idea by using a piece of bread. For both, make sure to keep them stored as airtight as possible. You could also try a sugar saver for storing brown sugar. These work pretty well and are fairly inexpensive. They even sell plastic containers now with a sugar saver built in, which are an even better deal. Best, Lynn C.

• Will apple slices work?

• Yes, an apple slice will work too, but I'd rather use the heel of bread that I otherwise wouldn't be using than slice into an apple (unless I was already planning to eat the apple, of course!).

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.