WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Cookies too hard out of the oven

Hello,

I have a nice walnut cookie recipe that requires being put in the fridge and then sliced and put in the oven. But the cookies come out rock hard. How do I make them so they are softer? And, separately, what is the secret to chewy chocolate chip cookies?

Thanks for doing this; advice much appreciated.

Jennifer

Comments

• Hi Jennifer - I'd love to help you with your walnut cookie issues, but it's hard to determine where the problem is without seeing the recipe. Would you be willing to post it here?

For chewy chocolate chip cookies, I'd recommend three things - 1.) using melted butter - melted butter will create a denser, chewier cookie since you're not incorporating air into the cookie by creaming the butter; 2.) use some brown sugar - brown sugar is more hygroscopic than white sugar, meaning it retains moisture and helps keep the cookies moist, not dry; and 3.) pull the cookies out of the oven when the edges are just set and the centers are still slightly underdone. Let them finish baking on the sheet so they won't overbake. Overbaked cookies are probably the #1 reason for crunchy, not chewy, chocolate chip cookies.

Good luck with your chocolate chip cookies and let us know about the recipe for your walnut cookies and we can try to help solve your rock hard cookie problem. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.