WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Mint

I am always confused when recipes call for mint. I mostly see in the stores both spearmint and peppermint, and I am never sure which one is supposed to be used for recipes as it is rarely ever noted. Should I always lean towards one type?

Comments

• Hi Sherry - Spearmint is the standard when we call for mint in recipes. It is the type of mint most often sold in grocery stores and, therefore, the most widely available. Also, spearmint is milder in flavor – it contains significantly less menthol than peppermint – and lends itself to more preparations. However, peppermint can be used in place of spearmint in sweet dishes where it’s stronger flavor is more balanced by sugar. Here is a breakdown of the differences:

Peppermint: A natural hybrid of spearmint and water mint. Because peppermint is a mix of two types of mint, it contains a higher content of menthol (40 percent as opposed to spearmint’s 0.5 percent). Menthol is the chemical ingredient that creates that recognizable cooling effect on the mouth. Its strong flavor is best suited for sweet dishes, especially those with chocolate. Peppermint is used in extracts and oils. 

Spearmint: Compared to peppermint, spearmint has a delicate flavor and fragrance. It gets its flavor from the chemical ingredient carvone, which is much subtler than menthol and doesn’t evoke the same cooling sensation. In cooking, spearmint is used in savory recipes unlike peppermint. Whether it’s blended into a tzatziki sauce, drizzled over a rack of lamb, folded into a pork- and veggie-packed spring roll, or muddled into a refreshing mojito, spearmint will let the dish’s other flavors shine alongside it.

Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.