WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Fresh slice pork

Hi! Thank you for opening up the forum. I’ve been wondering what to do with the 5 lbs of fresh slice pork I got as part of a ‘pig share’. It looks just like bacon, but is just raw pork sliced like bacon. We cooked one package and were decidedly underwhelmed. Pretty flavorless. I sprinkled some smoked paprika on the last couple slices as they were in the skillet, better, but ..... Suggestions? Can we MAKE it BACON?

Comments

• Hi Teresa - What you have, essentially, is pork belly. Since it's already been sliced it shouldn't be smoked and cured like bacon at this point. You can, however, use it as you would thin pork belly - search for recipes for sliced pork belly. Unlike bacon, it has only its pork flavor so adding some salt to it is crucial. I'd probably choose to make Char Siu, Chinese-style barbecue. I love it served with steamed rice and sautéed vegetables to soak up the sticky glaze. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.