WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Proofing yeast dough (the knuckle test) and testing for doneness

1) Regarding the knuckle test where one pokes the dough with a knuckle, and:'

• if the dough springs back, the dough is ready
  • if the dough sags/doesn't spring back, it is over proofed

What happens if you poke the dough and it is NOT ready yet, i.e....

• if the dough _______, it needs to proof longer

2) Also, in a recipe that requires two rises, does this knuckle method apply to just the first rise (i.e. signaling the dough is ready to be shaped), or just to the second rise (after the dough is shaped, signaling it is ready to bake), or to BOTH rises?

Some breads (no knead?) require only one rise. In this case I assume this test would apply?

3) Is the general rule that when a yeast bread is done baking, the internal temp is ~195-200 degrees? Is it the same for a cake, or what is the approximate internal temp for a cake when it is done? How about a quick bread like banana bread? (I always seem to under or over bake my banana bread, so I am looking for more reliable ways to test for doneness, other than "just beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan" and "golden brown.")

4) A certain British show talks about "prooving" the dough. Is this the same as proofing, or just the way they pronounce "proofing," do you suppose?

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Lynn -

1.) The Ripe Test is actually gently inserting two fingers into the dough and, if the indentation remains, the dough is "ripe" and ready to move to the next step. If the indentation does not remain, continue rising and retest.

2.) The ripe test to determine if a proofed and shaped dough is ready for the oven is a little different than the method used after the first rise. Simply touch the side of the dough lightly with your fingertip. If the indentation remains, the loaf is ripe and ready for the oven.

3.)  A properly baked loaf should register a temperature between 195 and 210 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, depending upon the type of bread. Generally speaking, leaner breads will be done at the lower end and richer breads are done at the higher level. For cakes, we prefer the visual clue of poking the top of the cake gently with your finger and if the cake bounces back, it's done. However, the temperature should be around 200-210 degrees at the center of the cake. Quick breads are in the same range.

4.) "Proving" is used interchangeably with "proofing" to describe the process of rising dough. It can also refer to "proving" active dry yeast, which is the step of combining yeast with water and sugar to remove the outer layer of dead cells to activate the yeast before adding it to your dough. This step is only necessary with active dry yeast. Rapid Rise or Instant yeast has already had the outer layer removed and can be added directly to the dry ingredients.

Best,

Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.