WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Dry naan

Hello,

I have tried a number of recipes for naan but all come out a bit breadier than the soft, moist, doughy concoctions one finds in the restaurants. Julia Child recommends in her recipe to get the dough sopping wet as one rolls/presses it out, but this only marginally helps. No other recipe calls for that step so when I found that, I thought I had the secret, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JB

Comments

• Hi John - I'm not sure what you've tried, so it's hard to make suggestions about ingredients and technique. I think a yeast-based dough rather than a baking powder dough is going to give you better rise and texture. Also, a good naan recipe will have fat in it, usually in the form of dairy and, specifically, yogurt. The fat in the dairy serves to impede gluten development. This, in turn, yields a much softer-textured dough. Assuming you've got a tender dough already, there are a few areas where things could be going wrong. How are you measuring your flour? We recommend measuring by weight, especially in baking and bread-making. By using volume measurements, you could be adding too much flour causing the dough to be dry. Second, are you rolling out the naan (and rolling too thin)? This would yield a more crisp, bread-like dough. By rolling you deflate some of the air the yeast has produced in the dough. We prefer pressing out and forming pizza dough and flatbreads by hand to ensure they stay light and airy. Have you tried our flatbread dough? I use this all the time for flatbread-style pizza and I think it could be the right style of dough. I'd probably divide the dough into four pieces rather than two to turn it into smaller naan. Cook the dough on a pizza steel or in a cast-iron skillet and brush with melted butter after it's cooked. You may want to replace some of the water in the dough with olive oil to add a little more richness. It may take some experimenting, but I think it could be a good place to start. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks Lynn!

My doughs so far have been yeast doughs and some with and some without the yogurt. Measurements have been by volume, not weight. Pressed out not rolled. I will try experimenting with the oil as that is not something I have tried varying.

Cheers,

JB

• Good luck, John! Let us know how your experiments turn out.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.