WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

tzatziki: salty

Good Evening,

I took a swing at the Milk Street Tzatzki this evening to accompany my souvlaki. It came out way to salty so I had to cut it with more Greek yogurt. Wondering why that may have been? My theory is that I may have been to conservative with the amount of cucumber used as I stopped shredding upon seeds being apparent. This is different from my usual as I would scoop out all the seeds and just shred the whole thing. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated as tzatziki is something I really love.

Comments

• Hi Adam - First, what type and brand of salt are you using? At Milk Street we use Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt in all of our recipes. If you are using another brand of kosher salt (Morton's, for example) you would use a little more than half the amount called for in the recipe. For table salt it would be half the amount. The other consideration would be the Greek yogurt. You can use whole milk or low-fat Greek yogurt but we don't recommend nonfat yogurt. The lack of fat in nonfat yogurt will not only weaken the flavor of the tzatziki, but may also cause it to seem too salty since the salt will be more prominent. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn

• Thank you for taking the time to provide insightful comments. I think my outcome was the result of using a different brand of salt and not shredding enough of the cucumber. The combination of those two factors ensures a suboptimal result. I’m using the Costco Kirkland 100% sea salt. I haven’t run into any issues previously but I will try with some other brand of salt. Regarding the yogurt I couldn’t agree more all I use is Fage 5%.

• Glad we could help, Adam!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.