WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Okra

Any good okra recipes besides stewed with tomatoes or fried? Wondering if there are any recipes from milkstreet travels/research. The only okra reference I saw on milkstreet was an editor's note in the magazine- a Senegalese gumbo "built on dried, smoked and fresh fish that's mashed with okra to make a base". Thanks!

Comments

• People must not like okra?

• I'm a southerner and okra is my favorite vegetable! What a shame that Milk Street doesn't do more with this wonderful vegetable. My favorite cuisine is Middle Eastern (mostly Syrian and Lebanese) and one of my most favorite dishes is a lamb/beef and okra stew called Bemyeh (whole baby okra) Stew. You can use any kind of okra, but the Lebanese baby okras are delicious and are readily available frozen in Middle Eastern grocery stores. Fortunately, I have a good one close by. Try Bemyeh and see what you think. Also, grilled okra is quite tasty. Let your imagination be your guide!

• Thank you so much! I’m a southerner as well. I imagine Gullah geechie cooking from west Africa brought okra to where I’m from and our creoles are okra filled things of amazement. Our shrimp creole can’t be beat. Bemyeh is a new iteration for me, the recipes for this dish look delicious...allspice, cinnamon and chilies, yum. So many bemyeh recipes- thank you for the referral. Okra is ridiculously easy to grow, the hard part is grabbing it when it is still in the baby form as it grows so fast. I would still love to hear more about this Senegalese gumbo with the dried and smoked fresh fish/okra base. I’m from the coast and I’m thinking this base might be doable. So glad I am not the only okra lover out there!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.