WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Columbian Coconut Braised Chicken

This recipe sounds so delicious (and I happen to have an open can of coconut milk) but hubbie can't tolerate onions or garlic. Should I choose another recipe or can you give me some good substitutes?

Comments

• Hi Theresa - Asafoetida, also called Hing, would be something interesting to try. Asafoetida is a pungent spice used in cooking that is native to Central Asia, particularly Iran and India. Asafoetida comes from a very unusual source. According to food scientist Harold McGee, it’s made by scraping the sap from the exposed root of a plant in the carrot family. The sap is dried and crushed, giving us a tan-colored powder to sprinkle into our dishes. 

McGee also says that the sap contains many of the same sulfur compounds found in onions. It has a very strong odor when dry, which many say is reminiscent of washed rind cheeses or body odor. Not to worry – when the spice is added during cooking, it mellows out into a gentle flavor. Asafoetida is used in savory dishes, often to add a more full flavor by mimicking the taste of onions, garlic, egg, and even meat. It’s a staple ingredient in Indian cooking, commonly used along with turmeric in lentil dishes like dal, and a variety of vegetable dishes.

Unless you have a really excellent health food store or Indian grocery near you, it’s probably best to look for asafoetida online. It might be worth a try, not just in this recipe, but all of the recipes that call for onions and/or garlic. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Thanks, Lynn for your kind and thoughtful suggestion. I am aware of this ingredient and have purchased it on line in the past but probably used incorrectly. Would you be aware of approximate reciprocal amounts to use?

• Hi Theresa - Generally speaking, a pinch or two is usually enough. In the Coconut-Braised Chicken, you'll want to add it to the hot oil with the turmeric and let it cook for about 30 seconds (thus, "blooming" it, like you would ground spices). This softens its harsh aroma and mellows it out. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.