WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Spicy Pork with Leeks

Today I tried the Spicy Pork with Leeks, following the recipe to the letter. I wound up with predominantly tough, dried out pork. I did cut the pork pieces uniformly, and about a third of the pieces were acceptable, whilst the others were not. Did I braise the dish too long, not long enough, at too high a temperature, or should I use more wine? I’m at a loss as almost every other recipe from Milk Street is “dead on”. I do live at 8500 feet in Colorado, but generally this only affects baking.... any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Hi Larry - It actually is probably the altitude. The key factor is declining air pressure at higher altitudes. Falling air pressure lowers the boiling point of water by just under 1 degree Fahrenheit for each 500 feet of increased elevation. The lower boiling point means water will cook off more quickly, and at a lower temperature. Therefore, certain moist-heat cooking methods, boiling and braising, for example, can take up to 25% longer to properly cook food at altitude than at sea level. Next time I'd continue cooking until a knife or skewer inserted in the meat meets little or no resistance. Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.