WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

A pulled pork stew with Ethiopian seasonings.

I was listening to a Milk Street Podcast and Christopher was talking about a pulled pork dish that he makes frequently in an instant pot. It had pork shoulder, onions, and about a half of a cup of not too spicy seasonings. Does this sound familiar to any of you? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Carol -

I had a chance to check in with Christopher and he based his recipe off this one: https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/ethiopian-chicken-stew-doro-wat. You can make the chicken version of the recipe as it was developed or try his simple pork version: "sauté three onions with a bunch of Berbere (1/3 cup or so) and then add 3 lbs boneless cubed pork shoulder, 40 minutes on high pressure, let sit for 15 minutes after cooking and then release steam." Chris didn't specify if he also adds the 3/4 cup water from the recipe, but I would recommend it so you don't get a burn error in the Instant Pot.  Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

• Hi Lynn C.,

First off, great name! LOL

Second-I am cooking the Ethiopian stew right now with a fabulous pork shoulder roast I cubed up and I have what looks like some really good pork fat I trimmed off. Is there anything I can do with it? I hate throwing it away.

Thanks!

Lynn

• Hi Lynn - Same to you! :-)

You can render down the pork fat into lard. It's quite simple to do and you can store it in the fridge for up to 6 months. Just melt it down over low heat on the stovetop then strain out any delicious cracklings (these can be added to salad, stew, beans or just eaten as a snack), and pour into a glass jar with an air-tight seal. You can use the lard to sauté in place of oil, keeping in mind that it will add some pork flavor to whatever you're cooking. Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.