WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Gluten Free Pastas and Pasta Water

Hello,

I love the pasta recipes on Milk Street, and how they advise using the starchy water in making a sauce that thickens and clings well to the pasta. My curiosity is in what gluten free pasta would have this same effect as traditional pasta. There are so many options out there, such as quinoa, lentil, and chickpea pasta, and I want to know which one works best for these type of recipes.

-Kim

Comments

• Hi Kim - Depending on what your gluten-free pasta is made from (rice, corn, chickpea, buckwheat, etc.), the starch content could vary. There is also the issue of using the pasta water from rice noodles due to the reported levels of arsenic in rice. We found a great alternative that will work with all gluten-free pastas (and whole-wheat pasta which doesn't produce enough starch either). Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I have been using Veneziane pasta for years. It is corn based and the water is full of starch and works perfectly. If I have leftover pasta, I save some of the water and use it when I want to reheat the pasta. The water gets even thicker overnight and works beautifully. I hope this helps.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.