WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

What kind of Kosher salt?

I find many MS recipe tend to be too salty. What Kosher salt are you calling for; Morton's or Diamond Crystal? If this has been answered elsewhere, I'm sorry to be redundant but I couldn't find it.

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Katherine - Great question! Historically, we developed our recipes with Diamond Crystal because of the kitchen’s preference for its texture. But that meant we developed our recipes with more salt by volume (but not by weight) than a person using Morton’s would have. And because of that, when home cooks did use Morton’s in our recipes, they sometimes ended up too salty. So at Milk Street, we recently switched to Morton’s. By developing our recipes to use less salt by volume (but the same amount by weight, and therefore the same level of saltiness in the finished dish), we believe it will be more difficult for people to unintentionally add too much salt to a recipe. This switch was made in developing the recipes for the March-April 2021 issue. Recipes that appear in issues prior to that date (or in all published cookbooks at this point) would still call for the volume amount for Diamond Crystal kosher salt. We are in the process of updating all of our recipes to reflect Morton's kosher salt on the website, but this process needs to be done by hand. With thousands of recipes, I'm sure you can understand, this may take some time. In the meantime, our advice is to cut the amount of salt called for in the recipe in half if you are using Morton's kosher and making a recipe published prior to the March-April 2021 issue (or from one of our current cookbooks). If you find it is not seasoned enough, you can always season to taste at the end of cooking. We understand that this is confusing and are here to help if you have further questions! You can read more about this change here. Best, Lynn C.

• I use Diamond Crystal, even then I think sometimes MS food is too salty. I'll be careful salting and will rely on tasting at the end.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.