WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

help - I goofed up the recipe for MADEIRAN PORK WITH WINE AND GARLIC

I accidentally added the madeira to the marinade when it was supposed to be added as a later step. What affect will this have on the marinade?

Comments

• Hi Alena - I'm assuming you already finished this recipe but we did not include the madeira in the marinade for two reasons. First, because it's a fortified wine. Fortified wines have a higher alcohol content than regular wine and, when used in the oven, can ignite under the right (wrong?) circumstances - a covered pot, an increase or decrease in oxygen in the oven, etc. Second, because we didn't want to dull the flavor of the madeira during the long braise. Since we haven't tested this I would probably recommend that you cook this on the stovetop before so the alcohol in the madeira has a chance to burn off before transferring it to the oven. Best, Lynn C.

• I made this recipe and it was great. I am new to Madeira, but to me, it seemed very similar to the dry Sherries I keep in stock for cooking. Is sherry a good substitute, or did I just get some cheap Madeira? (And yes, it was cheap and the only one I could find locally- I source my sherries from out of twon, too). Thanks.

• I think the flavor profile is different between sherry and Madeira and I would try to stick with Madeira if you can find it. a dry Marsala is a better bet than sherry if you need a sub.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.