WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

King Arthur Bread Flour

I've been on a baguette baking kick recently and gave some to friends. One of them gifted me back some King Arthur Bread Flour with the not-so-subtle hint that if I turn it into more bread, they'd be glad to help consume it :-) However, I use AP flour for my baguettes, using a recipe from King Arthur's website.

I know KA's Bread Flour has a higher protein count than other bread flours. If I use it, for any kind of bread, do I need to make any adjustments because of the higher protein?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Mitchell - Since you are very familiar with your recipe, you can try making it with KA bread flour. When substituting flours I always think it's best to know the recipe well so you know how the dough is supposed to feel and look and can make adjustments. I actually think it might be nice with bread flour, since it will make it more chewy. You might find a difference in the size of the holes inside the loaf, which may or may not be desirable. You won't know until you try! Make sure to substitute with an equal amount *by weight*. KA bread flour has 12.7% protein, while their all-purpose flour is 11.7%. King Arthur's AP flour is already pretty high in protein compared to other brands so I expect it will be pretty easy to make the substitution. Dough made with bread flour absorbs slightly more liquid so pay attention to the texture of the dough and add a little more water if you feel it's necessary. Otherwise, I think this should work just fine. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.