WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Getting goetta to set up

Pre covid I was in Cincinnati and fell in love with Goetta, an oatmeal based scrapple. I cannot find it in the DC area so I started to make my own. The basic recipe is 3 cups of Irish steel cut oatmeal (or pinhead) in 8 cups of water. Simmer covered for 2 hours. Add a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground pork and some salt. Stir it in and cook covered for another 1 - 1 1/2 hours. I have started to use a heat diffuser since the oatmeal was burning to the bottom of the pan (gas stove). So only twice I have gotten it correct. The other 20 or so times it did not set up or set very loose. Or it has a meatloaf texture, like I cooked it too long. It still tastes good and I deal with it but I would like a consistent product. I use a good fatty pork but an organic ground beef with a lower fat content. Is less fat an issue? I have made scrapple but since that is corn based the corn gluten seems to set up consistently. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Hi Randall - We've never made or tested goetta so I don't know that we have any specific suggestions. That being said, my guess is that there is either too much water added or it's not being cooked until it's thick enough. I found this article from the Cincinnati Inquirer about goetta and both call for cooking the oats in a slow cooker. This might be helpful for maintaining a low, slow temperature. Keep in mind, however, that the ratio of oats to water will be different in a slow cooker since there's little to no evaporation there. I'd follow one of the recipes designed for it rather than translate your recipe to a slow cooker. One note in here I found relevant - "The mixture, when cooked, should be thick enough for a spoon to stand up in without falling over and be difficult to stir." This is probably key to it setting up after refrigeration. For a stovetop version, many folks online have had success with this recipe from the bag of Dorsel's pinhead oats. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.