WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Swedish cardamom buns - spice grinder question

I am looking to make the Swedish Cardamom bun recipe which calls for coarsely grinding decorticated cardomom seeds. I do not currently have a spice grinder (or a mortar and pestle). I was looking at the Kuhn Rikon ratchet grinder in the Milk Street store. Can someone confirm that that grinder is adjustable and if so, that the coarse setting will produce the correct grind needed for the cardamom in this recipe?

Comments

• John, I know you asked about the Kuhn Rikon ratchet grinder, and you may have already solved your spice-grinding issue since this was posted in December 2022, but I wanted to comment. I made the Swedish cardamom buns and used a mortar and pestle to grind the cardamom. You say you don’t have a mortar and pestle, but I’ve used one for many other recipes that call for freshly ground spices. I use it A LOT for pepper, as I like the freshness of using peppercorns and having a coarser grind. I just wanted to throw this out there to mention the virtues of a mortar and pestle. Additionally, if using a spice grinder or ratchet grinder for different spices in various recipes, I imagine you’d have to thoroughly clean it before using it again. A mortar and pestle are very easy to clean after each use.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.