WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Build a Cookware Set

My husband is gifting me all new cookware. If you were to build your own set, what sizes, brands, and materials would you buy? I am keeping my enameled Dutch oven and my 12-inch cast iron skillets. I currently use three different-size saucepans (all anolon) on the reg and three frying pans (10-inch anolon, deep 10-inch stainless, and a large anolon braiser). I have a gas range and oven.

Comments

• Hi Heather -

We would advise evaluating what you use most often and simply purchasing those pieces. Here are some general recommendations but, again, this is very dependent on personal uses and preferences:

• Traditional stainless steel 10" or 12" skillets and pots are best for everyday cooking. Depending on your use a 1 and 2-3 qt saucepan would be useful. 
    • I would only purchase small (8" or 10") nonstick skillets (not pots - there is no need for a nonstick coating on a pot). Buy an inexpensive nonstick skillet. No matter how expensive the pan is, it will eventually lose its nonstick coating so you will have to replace these frequently. 
    • A cast iron or carbon steel pan. These require some pre-seasoning and regular upkeep but are great for high heat cooking over gas and, if seasoned properly, can be as nonstick as a nonstick pan 
    • Enameled Dutch oven - great for braises, stews, soups, no-knead bread, etc.
    • I find a stock pot takes up a lot of space and, in general, is not necessary. These are often included in cookware sets. Unless you are making large volumes of stock or boiling lobsters regularly I think you can do anything you might do in a stock pot in a dutch oven. 

Whatever you choose, make sure the handles are ovenproof. Many recipes require transferring from stovetop to oven and plastic handles will melt in the oven. 

You can also visit our store to see some of the cookware we use here at Milk Street.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.