WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

HAVE A CUSTOMER SERVICE INQUIRY?

Welcome to our baking forum! This is a space to ask our culinary team about any and all baking-related matters. 

Our customer service team does not monitor this board. If you’ve got a store-related inquiry, please email us at info@177milkstreet.com for a speedier response! 

Comments

• Hi. I am a regular listener, subscriber to the magazine and generally a big fan. That said I have a general question using the recipe for Roman Cloud bread as an example. Why the inconsistency in baking recipes in measures using grams and volume? The flour has both. The water has only volume. I understand that not everyone has a scale but why not including the grams with liquids? It’s just a few more keystrokes. Thanks for listening.

• Hi David -

Sorry for the delay in responding! Your post wasn't flagged for me since it's under a customer service announcement thread.

I checked in with our Recipe Editor, Dawn Yanagihara, and she shared this:

This question came up recently during a recipe meeting, as we're currently in the thick of developing recipes for the baking book. The general feeling is that since gram weights tend to make recipes seem fussier and more complicated than they are, we include include them only for those ingredients for which measuring by volume might introduce lots of inaccuracy. E.g., 1 cup water measured by volume is likely to always come very close to 8 ounces, but the amount of flour, for instance, can really vary depending on whether it's spooned into a measuring cup or if it's measured by the dip-and-sweep method. We do try to make sure to include weights for liquids like honey and molasses—sticky substances that are a nuisance to measure by volume.

Hope that helps!

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• I read the November/December issue of Milk Street Magazine. At the bottom of page 2, there is a small blurb about French Sable cookies & tins that make beautiful gifts. After reading, I went to the website listed - sablesienne.com, because I was interested in ordering. I learned that they don't ship outside of France. You would think that the person writing for the magazine would look into that before making a recommendation for a product that you are not able to get. Very disappointed.

• Hi Kathryn -

We are so sorry. When this issue went to print we had expected to offer these cookies in our Milk Street store and subsequently were unable to do so. The issue went forward and, unfortunately, we never cross-checked the company's website to ensure that the cookies could be sold outside of France. They can be purchased online in the US here and here, but sadly not in the beautiful tin featured in the magazine. Again, we are so sorry for the error.

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.