WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Cheese Storage

Hello, Milk Street!

About 50 years ago (truly) I remember a friend having an earthenware jar with a sort of grid at the bottom. White vinegar was poured into the bottom and the grid held a variety of cheeses safely above. Apparently, the vinegar keeps the cheeses fresh and, without being individually wrapped, from sharing their pungent fragrances.

Did I dream this? Was it a fad that didn't really work? Does it exist? If so, I want one.

Your kind attention is so appreciated as are your recipes.

Comments

• Hi Ann -

We weren’t able to find exactly what you were looking for, but there is certainly some anecdotal evidence of wrapping cheese in a vinegar-soaked paper towel to prevent mold and preserve it. We haven’t been able to find any actual research-based evidence to support this, however.

The most important thing to consider when it comes to cheese storage is maintaining proper moisture. Too dry and the cheese will dry out. To humid/moist and too much bacteria will grow and the cheese will become moldy. Specialty cheese paper can help prevent this with a two-ply construction that lets cheese breathe without drying out.

In the Milk Street Store, we sell a cheese grotto that was created by a cheesemonger to solve all of the issues of cheese storage. It’s handmade from breathable bamboo wood to prevent premature molding and contains a clay brick humidifier on the bottom that, when soaked in water regularly, regulates moisture (no more crumbly cheese!). A vaulted ceiling makes for ideal airflow and condensation control, while an adjustable back panel promotes extra breathability.

Hope this helps!

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.