WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

How to shred/floss chicken so it completely breaks apart in a sauce

Years ago a friends’ family recipe was chicken in tomato sauce but the chicken was completely dissolved into the sauce, there were no chunks, each individual fiber of the chicken was separated. During the prep, the father took chicken breasts out of the freezer and broke it down so he had a pile of very fine chicken fibers, no longer than 1/4 inch. I don’t remember if he used cooked or raw chicken and I can’t seem to replicate the texture. Flossed chicken has a similar texture. I would appreciate any recommendations for replicating this process?

Thank you,

Mary

Comments

• Hi Mary -

The key to finely shredded/flossed chicken, especially when using chicken breasts, is to cook it in liquid for a longer time over low heat. This will allow the small amount of collagen in lean chicken breasts to convert to gelatin, which softens the muscle fibers that allow you to shred it more finely.

You can either shred it using two forks, your hands, or cut the chicken into smaller pieces and add it to your stand mixer. A couple of minutes in the mixer will quickly shred chicken into fine pieces.

Good Luck!

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.